Industry News
Stay current on industry related news and updates

April blank sailings ramp up amid push to finalize long-term contracts

Date :25-04-02 Visits : 44

Ocean carriers plan to blank more sailings through much of April as freight rates hit new lows for 2025 and more ships are expected to hit the water in the coming months. The withdrawal of capacity also comes as ocean carriers look to finalize annual service contracts with shippers.

A total of 68 sailings globally are expected to be canceled during April, according to maritime consultancy Drewry, with about half of the cancellations in trans-Pacific services. The blankings are occurring across a variety of weekly services to major US ports.

Mediterranean Shipping Co. last week said it would blank six voyages between Asia and the US, with most of the cancellations for sailings originally scheduled for the second half of April. MSC said it would cancel late-April voyages scheduled to the US West Coast on both its Orient service from northern China and its Pearl service from Vietnam and southern China.

MSC will also cancel a weekly sailing on its Empire and America services to the US East Coast and another sailing on its Lone Star Express service to the US Gulf Coast.

Schedules from other carriers also show more capacity being withdrawn in the coming weeks. Ocean Network Express'(ONE's) export schedule for Shanghai shows the Premier Alliance will have no vessels for mid-April sailings on both its EC1 service to the US East Coast and the EC2 service calling the Port of Manzanillo in Mexico and the US Southeast.

ONE also canceled a mid-April sailing on its MS2 service between Asia and the US West Coast and a sailing originally scheduled this week on its PN3 service to the ports of Vancouver and Tacoma.

Ocean Alliance member Cosco Shipping also appears to be removing trans-Pacific capacity in the short term. It has no weekly voyage scheduled in the second week of April for its Manhattan Bridge service to the US East Coast. The carrier's Bohai and Hibiscus Express services to the US West Coast also do not have vessels scheduled for the same week.


Blanks come with trans-Pacific spot rates at fresh lows

Joseph Firrincieli, a New York-based sales manager for forwarder OEC Group, told the Journal of Commerce that the blanked sailings are part of the typical tactic ocean carriers use in an attempt to firm up rates as they look to finalize annual service contracts with shippers by May 1.

The raft of blank sailings comes as trans-Pacific spot rates sit at 15-month lows. Platts, a sister company of the Journal of Commerce within S&P Global, pegged rates from North Asia to the West Coast at $1,600 per FEU as of Monday, with rates to the East Coast at $2,600 per FEU.

image.png

“The reason for the increase in blanked sailings is to create an artificial supply and demand imbalance to justify increasing the floating rates,” Firrincieli said.

The blanked sailings also come amid expectations of more ships hitting the water in the coming months. Trans-Pacific container capacity to the US West Coast is expected to increase 19% from March to April, according to data provider eeSea, going from 1.159 million TEUs to 1.379 million TEUs. By May, trans-Pacific capacity is expected to hit 1.426 million TEUs.

With the newbuilds being delivered, Firrincieli said ocean carriers may need to blank even more sailings in the coming weeks to bolster rates. While shippers don't appear to be impacted by the blank sailings yet, he said the threat of tariffs and the potential that shippers will try to frontload imports to avoid them means that there is a risk that container capacity will be limited during late spring.

“Right now, there is a lull in the market,”Firrincieli said.“But if the blankings persist into June or July, then shippers may find it more difficult to find space.”


Further reading